What is Monero?
Monero (launched 2014) is a privacy focused cryptocurrency which is based on Cryptonote technology. Privacy is built in its design by default for all the network participants. The development is currently led by Riccardo Spagni with a few other core protocol developers after splitting from the original Bitmonero project (forked from bytecoin) in 2014. Monero has unbounded inflation, after emission of 18.132 million monero (May 2022), a constant tail emission of 0.6 XMR every 2 minutes will ck in resulting around 1% inflation per year. A permanent inflation keeps miners incentivized, thereby securing the network. Monero enables untraceable and unlinkable transactions. It uses Ring signatures to protect sender identity, stealth address to protect recipient identity and Ring CT (Ring confidential transaction) to protect transaction amount. This is vastly different from Bitcoin where all transactions are visible to everyone and a sophisticated blockchain analysis can potentially reveal a user's identity. Monero is currently working on Kouri to integrate I2P (The invisible internet project) to protect users IP address as well. In April 2018, Monero made an effort (successful so far) to become ASIC resistance, in order to prevent mining centralization. Monero's privacy feature makes a true fungible coin. It also supports the concept of 'view key'. Using a 'view key' a user can share transaction details with a third party or an auditor. No one can spend coins using 'view key'. Governments are usually not greats fans of the anonymous cryptocurrency concept. Notably, the Japanese Financial Security Agency is already trying to ban such coins, as they worry that they can be used for illegal activities. However, Monero's community is strong and supportive and most probably a real market need for a privacy respecting coin will always be there. (eg. Monero is already a primary payment method for buying branded Tor onion domains).
Monero Price USD
Monero Price USD
Monero Price USD
- Historical Data
- Enterprise meets DeFi: Organizations work toward adopting blockchain techCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoEnterprise DeFi adoption is in development, but a number of challenges must be addressed before it’s ready for the mainstream. Decentralized finance is quickly maturing.…
- No, Goldman Sachs isn’t a bearish indicator for BitcoinCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoThe Bitcoin market is a different beast compared to late 2017 when Goldman Sachs balked at launching its crypto trading desk. Peter Brandt, a popular…
- Turkish finance ministry to study cryptocurrency with local regulatorsCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoRegulators are taking a hard look at crypto in Turkey, but local experts welcome the oversight. Turkey made itself a name as a crypto-friendly country…
- Thai SEC forced to clarify proposed crypto rules after public backlashCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoFinancial regulators in Thailand may adjust the minimum annual income qualification for crypto investors amid public outrage. Thailand’s Securities and Exchange Commission has walked back…
- En route to $200K? Bitcoin closed February 26% above Stock-to-Flow model priceCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoBitcoin is actually overshooting the popular S2F model price as the month of March begins. The price of Bitcoin (BTC) is outpacing the popular Stock-to-Flow…